YOU will never find someone to parent your child as well as you
YOU will never find comfort in the fact that you have chosen a guardian as it means leaving your child.
YOU will never find it easy, EVER
With this in mind we have decided it’s time to get a move on things
But it’s so HARD
You have to picture your children without parents. Without you.
Death, the one thing that you strive so hard to avoid but need a contingency plan just in case.
The bottom line, as I have found is that if we don’t have a plan the decision is left up to the state. Someone that doesn’t know me, my child or our family.
Some may have an easy solution while others have complex family situations to consider.
To make our decision easier we have drawn up some areas that are important to us. This is our phase one of deciphering an incredibly hard topic, one that we have avoided for over three years.
1. Who is close to your child? Who do we trust?
2. Are they in close proximity to you or would it matter if they moved?
3. Do they want or have children?
4. Are their parenting styles and values in line with your own or similar?
5. Who is capable of taking on a child? Taking in to consideration finances, physicality and emotion.
This is a good start to narrow down a few guardians and to move away from the idea of impossibility.
In talking to a few Mums with similar aged kids there was a general consensus that the decision will never be made easy. It will also never feel right but you will at least know your wishes are formalised and known to those that you love.
We love a resource-